*that won’t make you lose your mind*
We try not to do too much screen time, but I’d say we generally do a little bit on most days. And then there are sick days when there’s way too much screen time, but whatever, the poor kid is sick, you know?
Anyway, it can be a real struggle to find TV shows for my kids that aren’t incredibly annoying or mind numbingly dumb. I could make a really long list of shows that make me want to pull my hair out, however much my kids like them, even when I can only hear the show in the background while making dinner.
Let’s focus on the positives though, because there are some good shows out there! So, in no particular order, my favorite TV shows for kids are…
1. Creative Galaxy- great if you’ve got Amazon Prime. This show inspired my kids to make their own board games! Enough said.
2. Tumbleleaf- another cute show on Amazon Prime. It is aimed at the younger crowd and has the cutest blue fox you’ve ever seen. My 6 year old loves it, and so does my 8 year old, though she pretends not to. Plus the theme song is really catchy.
3. Wild Kratts- this one is on Netflix and is one of the best, in my opinion. I can’t even do justice to how much my kids have learned about animals from this show. My 6 and 8 year olds both love it and have since they were 3 and 5.
4. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic- ok, so Pinkie Pie is REALLY annoying, but otherwise the show is cute and my kids love it. The world is pretty good for a kids’ fantasy world, the music is catchy, and it is also on Netflix. The biggest downside is how overpriced the toys are. I mean, it is seriously a rip off. Look for the ponies at thrift stores, seriously!
5. Magic School Bus- Also on Netflix, this show is educational and cracks up my kids.
6. Octonauts- this show is pretty darn adorable. That is all.
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the new one)- Ok, I know. Lots of hardcore TMNT fans don’t like the new animation style, but I think it looks great! I also really love the theme song. The show itself is funny and entertaining and generally way better and less questionable than other superhero/ninja/good guy vs bad guy shows for kids.
8. Super Why- This show sometimes gets perilously close to annoying, but I’m going to cut it some slack because it has been a huge hit with each of my kids when they are in that awesome “just about to read” stage.
9. Little Bear- is it ok to include a show my kids no longer like? They loved it when they were 2 and 4, but mostly I just love it. It is such a quiet, peaceful, and sweet show (which may be why my kids are over it. Ha.)
10. Planet Earth- not specifically for kids, and my 6 year old sometimes gets bored, but my 8 year old has loved this since she was at least 6. And by that I mean that she will run to get a notebook to frantically take notes while watching! So yeah, it is a hit. Plus it is on Netflix now!
So maybe I’m cheating by including Planet Earth, but I couldn’t stop when I was so close to 10. That would have been ridiculous. Plus, I honestly can’t think of any other kids shows I like.
Have I forgotten any good ones?